March 17, 2016

My Martha Pic

Recreating the cover of a Martha Stewart cookbook, from 1984, was one exceptionally fun cocktail party of 3.

The day I posted the intro for my blog, my mom sent me a picture of a recipe she and I were texting about. When I asked where she got the recipe, she sent me a picture of the cookbook she was looking in. I could not stop laughing when I saw it. How had I not see this cookbook before??! I'm still discovering things about this woman I'm so close to. I thought, "Oh my goodness! I have to recreate this picture." It captures what I love to do...entertain, cook and create.

I'm all about bringing humor to our lives in this ever so critical world we live in, which is why I wore my bridesmaid dress from 1994 and pearls given to me when I was a child. I used a mix of mine and my moms things, vintage from the 80's and modern from today (my napkins, her plates from the 80's, etc). Old and modern...exactly what my blog is about. The only things I purchased for the picture were food and flowers.


There have been many requests for "the shrimp appetizer" featured in my picture. It was also served at the Be Wine Party and has been in the family for over 20 years. Here is the recipe!
hands on time: 45 minutes
total time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
feeds 10 with other appetizers; makes about 45 shrimp


Snow peas, deveined
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined boiled shrimp (20-25 count)
Marinade:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic cloves
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Boil snow peas for 4 minutes. Drain and cool.
Marinate shrimp for at least 2 hours.
Wrap shrimp in show peas with a toothpick to hold. Drizzle remaining sauce over shrimp.
*TIP* Whole Foods will steam your shrimp at no charge. It's already peeled and deveined. All you have to do is slide off the tail!

Thank you to my girl friends for taking my picture and turning it into such a fun girls night!


3 comments: