March 6, 2016

The Real Deal Bolognese Sauce

I'm particularly partial to the Bolognese sauce served in Italy. I created a recipe that reminded me of the days I ate pasta with Bolognese sauce every single day while traveling in Italy. One thing I realized during the years it's taken to perfect this recipe is how exceptional it tastes with grass fed ground beef. The grass fed beef consistency is better and tastes delectable. Menus in Italy featured fettuccine, instead of spaghetti, with Bolognese sauce. While we are a whole wheat pasta family, this sauce is great with any type of pasta. I prefer the sauce with fettuccine or linguini. I also love it over spaghetti squash. The recipe freezes well.


hands-on time: 20 minute
total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
makes 6 servings


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup dry white wine
2  28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan (optional)


In a large, tall pot, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the celery, carrot, and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the beef and cook until brown. Add the wine and the remaining ingredients. Check for more salt. Simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with pasta or spaghetti squash. Sprinkle with parmesan.


I recommend using only the ingredients listed in the recipe. If you're using a substitute, it will change the flavor and consistency. Also, I choose a tall pot, because the sauce tends to pop a little while simmering. If I'm using a short pot, the sauce pops out of the pot onto the counter or onto my clothes.

Served over spaghetti squash



No comments:

Post a Comment