June 12, 2016

cilantro burgers with sriracha mayo

At the start of the new year, I decided to change things up by making 2 new recipes a week.  I wish I had kept track of all the new recipes I've made since January. This thought didn't occur to me til May.

We eat at home about 5-6 days a week. I like cooking, and we like healthy eating. We also appreciate knowing what's going in our food. While I can cook dishes without a recipe, it gets hard coming up with interesting, new and tasty on my own. It's inspiring to get new ideas. I will buy magazines, I will do research, and I will share my findings with you. A favorite magazine of mine is Cooking Light. This baby is not cheap. So, if I buy a copy, you bet I'm going to make as many recipes as I can from it.

We eat white meat or fish most days. A burger is a once a week or every other week splurge. Hubby and I love a good burger. Our version of a good burger is one with cheese. Any cheese. And sauce, from mayo to chipotle ketchup. A new favorite is Cilantro Burgers with Sriracha Mayo. Hubby works out 6 days a week. So Hercules needs more food than I do. While this recipe feeds 4, I make 3 burgers out of it. A half pounder for hubby and two 1/4 pounders.




TIPS about this recipe-
We eat a lot of cilantro, so we add more than the recipe calls for.
We use a lot of kosher salt and cracked pepper to flavor our meat.
We double the mayo recipe, because we use plenty on the top AND bottom bun to give it the sauciness. It makes up for the lack of cheese. This way, we don't miss it. Like I said, burgers are a splurge for us. You may as well do it, right.

hands-on time: 20 minute
total time: 20 minutes
makes 4 servings

1 pound 90% lean ground sirloin
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 burger buns
3 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon sriracha
1/3 cup cilantro sprigs


Combine ground sirloin, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix just until combined. Divide sirloin mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2" thick patty.


Heat a grill to medium high heat. Add patties and grill 4 minutes. Turn patties and grill 4 more minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove patties. Add buns to grill, cut sides down. Grill 1 minute or until toasted.


Combine mayo and sriracha in a small bowl, stir. Spread mixture on bottom half of each bun; top each with 1 patty. Divide cilantro sprigs evenly among patty; top with top halves of bun.


Recipe inspiration from Cooking Light

No comments:

Post a Comment