June 8, 2016

My Not-So-Overwhelming Cleaning Schedule

People have asked me how I keep my house so clean. It actually does require a bit of organization and planning on my part, so I'm not cleaning for one whole day. A day of cleaning is exhausting, boring, and not likely to get all done when you have a child at home with you.

Hubby and I are most relaxed in a tidy home. We prefer a swept floor, toys picked up from the downstairs before bed, and a clean kitchen to wake up to every morning. By clean kitchen, I mean no dirty dishes in the sink. I keep a toy basket in the downstairs closet. It's an easy place for us to do a quick stash.

Several years ago, we decided to save money by no longer using our maid service. The only way I could get out of spending a day cleaning was to make a schedule of daily tasks that would keep the house clean. The schedule allowed me to still spend lots of time with our little guy and/or run errands, while enjoying a clean home. I don't stay home every day. I did for one year after our son was born. Then he went to a 2 day a week Kids Day Out program, and I work on those 2 days. I adjusted my cleaning schedule to have a lighter task on the days I work.

My Not-So-Overwhelming Cleaning Schedule
 

And, let's be real. I may not vacuum every Thursday. Maybe I'll let another week go by. I'm sure going to try, though, because my son and hubby have terrible allergies (some of which include dust mites).

I fell out of my routine the end of last year. I struggled getting back in the groove at the beginning of this year. I was a slacker. Then it started spiraling. I had too much to do. My head was spinning with what needed to be immediately cleaned (restrooms) to things I needed to do (dust baseboards, replace air filters, replace an outdoor floodlight that was knocked out in the hail storm). I keep a planner, but that wasn't going to work for this list in my head. I decided to just write it all down. Everything. I made a list, and it kept growing. I stuck it on the fridge knowing I could see it better there. My goal was to knock out 1 or 2 things a day. It was an accomplishment when I could mark something off the list.

The Big List


The house is almost back where it needs to be (I still need to do my annual baseboards dusting), and I am now able to go back to my daily schedule. And there you have it! Now you know the Adams family has clean sheets on Friday.

1 comment: