April 25, 2016

Baked Meatball

Finally!! Thank you, Alton Brown, for coming up with a way to make delicious meatballs without spattering oil all over my stove. My son loves meatballs. I just don't make them often, as I hadn't found a tasty and easy recipe til now. Plus, the spinach in it is just bonus.

I used Alton Brown's recipe and changed a couple of things for our family.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-meatballs-recipe.html

tips:
*I use 1 pound 90%-10% grass fed ground beef and 1/2 pound 93%-7% ground turkey. I tried 99% fat free turkey for the entire recipe, and they were completely dry. The meat needs some fat to help the bread crumbs glisten.
*I use 1/2 a bag of this frozen spinach. It's easier than the frozen spinach block to work with. Heat in microwave in 20 second increments til thawed and squeeze out the water.

*I didn't weigh them as Alton suggested. I just separated them into 20 portions.
*I've used Progresso parmesan bread crumbs, and omitted the grated parmesan to save money. They still turn out flavorful. I do like them best with the parmesan, though.
*Reviews suggested baking sheet if you don't have a muffin tin.

hands-on time: 20 minute
total time: 40 minutes
makes 4-5 servings

1 pound ground round
1/2 pound turkey
5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan
1 whole egg
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup bread crumbs, divided

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat, spinach, cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Using your hands, mix all ingredients until well incorporated. Use immediately or place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

Place the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl. Separate the meat into 1.5 ounce portions (20 portions) and place on a sheet pan. Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs and place the meatballs in individual, miniature muffin tin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately.

A simple garlic, olive oil, lemon pasta, vegetables and salad make a delicious accompaniment to these meatballs. They also make great meatball sandwiches or are perfect in marinara sauce. My 3 year old eats them. He uses ketchup, of course.





No comments:

Post a Comment